The Fitness & Wellness Center will implement a limited phased reopening on Tuesday, October 27, 2020 and reservations will be required. Our initial opening phase is designed to be the most restrictive phase and will allow us to implement necessary College, State and local health guidelines required for operation. Please refer to the phased reopening protocol and frequently asked questions below.
Spaces open during Phase 1
- Fitness floor (cardiovascular and strength equipment)
- Fitness floor restrooms
- Main floor All Gender restrooms
Frequently Asked Questions
Who has access to the Fitness & Wellness Center during the limited phased reopening?
Access to the Fitness & Wellness Center will be limited in phase 1 to current students, faculty, and staff with valid Kalamazoo College IDs. A valid ID, reservation, and completion of the daily health screening will be required for access.
Phase 1 access does not include emeriti, retirees, spouses, domestic partners and outside groups. Access will be determined in future phases.
What will the hours of operation be during the phased reopening?
October 27-November 20
Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Closed on weekends
The Fitness & Wellness Center may be required to close at any time due to COVID-19 related situations, Kalamazoo College requirements, or State of Michigan executive orders. Any changes to hours of operation will be communicated through the Hornet Hive and posted on our website.
How do I make a reservation?
Fitness floor reservations can be made for 1-hour, predetermined, time slots. There will be a 30-minute cleaning period between all reservations. Due to capacity restrictions current students, faculty and staff are limited to one reservation per day. You may only make a reservation for yourself. To make a reservation follow the below steps.
- Call the Fitness & Wellness Center during our hours of operation, 269.337.7083. Reservations must be made over the phone and can start Monday, October 26 from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Choose a 1-hour time slot based on availabity. Reservation times are: 11 a.m.-Noon, 12:30-1:30 p.m., 2-3 p.m., and 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Please take the following steps when coming to the Fitness & Wellness Center for your reservation:
- Complete your daily health screening prior to coming to campus.
- The main entrance will be card swipe only. You must have a valid Kalamazoo College ID and a reservation to enter.
- You will swipe your ID at the welcome desk. An employee will verify the name on your ID with your reservation in our system.
- You will show you have a green check (students), or smiley face (faculty/staff), verifying you have completed your daily health screening, or verbally indicate it is completed and you are permitted to come to campus.
- No ID, no reservation, no green check or smiley face, no access.
- Reservations may not be made on site in an effort to promote social distancing in the main lobby.
Will I be required to wear a face covering?
The Fitness & Wellness Center will be following all face-covering guidelines established by Kalamazoo College and the State of Michigan. You will be required to wear a face covering at all times in the facility. For more information on exercising with a face covering please visit www.acefitness.org and read Exercising with a Face Covering: Safety Do’s and Don’t’s.
It is our expectation all members of the campus community will follow all facility, College and State of Michigan policies. If you are uncomfortable wearing a face covering during exercise, we ask that you refrain from using the facility at this time. Patrons who, after a kind reminder, refuse to wear a face covering will be asked to leave. Failure to comply could result in loss of reservations and facility use.
How will the Fitness & Wellness Center promote social distancing?
Various measures are in place to promote social distancing such as, equipment spacing, floor distancing dots, various signage, and equipment/space closure where distancing is not possible. We ask that you always maintain 6 feet distance from all patrons. We encourage you to clean equipment before and after use.
Closed amenities, programs and spaces during phase 1 include:
- Dance studio 209
- Equipment checkout
- Faculty/staff chair massage through Kalamazoo Athletic Wellness suspended
- Faculty/staff fitness room
- Locker rooms
- Markin indoor tennis courts
- Multi-purpose rooms 143 & 145
- Racquetball and squash courts
- Sports injury walk-in clinic suspended
- Towel service
- Various pieces of shared fitness equipment that are hard to keep sanitized have been removed from the fitness floor.